October 24, 2008

The Temple



It was only a few short months ago that they dedicated the Rexburg temple. Our kids were a part of the celebration and we were thrilled at being a part of such a joyous occasion.
I remember when they made the announcement that a temple was going to be built here, near our home and it was exciting to say the least. It took a couple of years to build once they held the ground breaking ceremony and I watched it's progress anxiously. Slowly it emerged out of the ground to become the tallest building in our area. The night it was lit it immediately became evident that you could see it for miles and miles throughout the valley. As a matter of fact, we can see it from our home ten miles away from Rexburg.
I would look out my front window, see it, and feel a little closer to my heavenly home. It was as if as long as I could see the light of the temple everything would be all right. It was a beacon, a comfort to my soul.
Why am I talking about this now? The other night I was up, and walked by my front window like I have a hundred times before. The only difference was, I wondered to myself where the bright light was coming from outside. To my surprise, when I walked up to the window it was the light of the temple. The same temple I watched anxiously, and awaited the day I could go in it's doors. The same temple light that brought me comfort only a few short months before. It shocked me that it had become commonplace in my life in such a short time. 
When we read the scriptures and wonder to ourselves how in the world those people can so easily forget their god and become prideful and dwindle in unbelief the answer is simple... they were just like us.
I've been reminded how amazing it is to live close to a temple once again, and hope that it's light won't soon fade in my mind, for one day I will need that light to take me home.


2 comments:

Chelli said...

You make me smile. I have had an AMAZINGLY busy (yet productive) day today and this post made me stop and think about how blessed we are. I, too, have found myself looking up at the hill and being amazed as I remembered that yes, we have a temple in our midst. Why don't I take advantage of it more? I think I will this week. It is my goal to make it to one session this week... I CAN DO IT!! (Thanks again for the reminder.)

mom said...

Beautiful!