August 20, 2011

Finishing Touch

 As I look around the house I can't help but think of my grandparents, Blanch and Virgil Blanchard. I am lucky enough to have a few of their beautiful pieces of furniture. (Sorry about the horrible white walls, it does nothing for the furniture.) I love this buffet that was always suppose to be mine and the only thing I thought I would get. It was in a shed for years, a cousin of mine started stripping it but never finished. It was pooped on by pigeons  and after I got it it sat out in my garage for a couple years because it looked so sad. One day I thought I'd clean it off and see what a bottle of Old English would do. This was the result, and it's good enough for me. I love it.
This weekend my parents brought down the table and chairs that go with the buffet. Hurray!!!
It's been sitting in a closet at my mothers for years. It adds the finishing touch my home needed. I love it!
I love old stuff, but this old stuff is great because I remember how beautiful it was in my grandma's house. I remember family dinners on the table when all the leaves were inserted to make it big and set beautifully with china. I remember peaking in my grandpa's desk to see if there was candy hiding. (I have his desk too.)
I enjoy thinking of my grandparents the funny smells of their house and simple times when life was easy... at least for me.

Simple Pleasure: Thoughts of family that are gone, but not forgotten.

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

Lucky! The furniture pieces are beautiful! I remember your grandparents too, might be because we are related.

Valerie said...

Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. I've always loved your buffet... or sideboard... or whatever. I can never remember technical terms. But it looks gorgeous! Lucky, lucky you!

little pink moth said...

I love them! I'm needing a buffet for my dining room. Maybe you could loan me a thing or two?