July 28, 2013

Anticipation...

As you may know, I am anxiously awaiting the move into my new school, new classroom and new classes. I feel like a fat kid waiting for the candy shop to open.

Riley and I went to run errands and ended up going by the school. To our surprise the doors were propped open. Well, that means "COME ON IN" to me.

As we walked inside there was a sign saying "No trespassing beyond this point" or the like. I could hear people scurrying about, I waited. Finally someone materialized and I asked him if it was possible to see my classroom. He said, sure, showed me the way and unlocked my door for me. Yahoo!


This is a look from the front of the classroom. There are nine tables with stools (no tipping back on chairs. Maybe.) and a demo table. I think this classroom is a perfect size. It's not to big.

I think a classroom can be TO BIG, it was at SRMS. They think you can fit more students (up to 40), a teacher can't keep track or help all the students in a hands on class. Thirty-six to one is to many and just plain ridiculous.


I have an actual desk, chair and file cabinet. I'm hoping this will be enough to say, "teachers space" and I won't have space invaders. I've had trouble in the past when there was one counter I shared with student work assignments.


I'm excited about this, sinks against a wall. My classroom at SRMS was huge and beautiful but the sinks were on a island. Kids + island = kids chasing each other in circles rather than cleaning up after themselves.

This will be my view to the East. It a parking lot yes, but it's better than seeing portable trailers. I will be able to see the mountain range for a while, so I'm going to enjoy it. I'm sure homes or apartments will spring up eventually.
We got a notice that the move in date has been changed. NOooo! One week later, but no promises. The beginning of the school year is going to be interesting, and busy. I feel sorry for the person that has to run the copy room.

I've been making samples for projects. One thing I'm excited to use are these stationary still life props I made. I glued them to a surface so that they can be set up in the same place over and over. It should make drawing from life easier since they would have to go up and come down for different classes.


I guess I have no choice other than to wait for the big move in. I'm excited and can't wait to settle in. I need to get back to work and having a routine.
It sounds like I'm surrendering summer. Maybe I am, 18 days of 100 degree + weather makes the cool nights of fall sound lovely.

24 days until I'm back to school.

3 comments:

Robin Grant said...

A brand new chair that you get to break in. I love brand new furniture. Good luck in your new school! Dn't get carried away wishing summer away and school to come. I'm not ready.

Lindsay said...

Awww, I'm sorry you have to wait to move into your new classroom -- but it looks awesome! I'm excited for you to start this new adventure. :)

And thanks for always commenting on my blog when you have time. I know you're really busy!

Unknown said...

I can smell the new smell here! Ahhh! Heavenly!!

LOVE THE NEW DIGS! I'm hoping and praying for the best school year yet! Good luck, friend!