May 10, 2016

Good Bye Shawn, See ya in Two

 We said our good byes to this handsome young man a week ago today. That means there's only 103 week to go. Ah!
It was interesting going to the airport and hoping everything would go smoothly getting his ticket and such. The man at the counter said, "We have an isle seat for you, but there's no reason for that if you want a window". So, we switched him to a window seat for his first ever flight.

We watched for other missionaries but there wasn't any in sight. We finally had to say our tearful good bye and let him wind through the mounting line of people going through security.

As we watched for sightings of him through the crowd we spotted a family with a son dressed in a suit. Could it be? Yes, another missionary! I had to see where he was going and luckily he was going to the Mexico MTC and called to serve in the same mission as Shawn. What a relief for this mother. Shawn wouldn't be alone on his first ever adventure on an airplane into another country. Funny thing, it was going to be this other missionaries first too!

He was able to email home and let us know he had arrived and tell us he would be calling on Sunday for Mother's Day. (see ElderThorkelson.blogspot.com for updates) We got to talk with him for 30 timed MTC minutes. Haha, which was great. Not much to say, but we found out that they have food that he will eat, so he won't starve.
I'll try to keep his blog up to date as we get emails and I'll see if I can keep up this blog a little better. I'm missing Shawn's sweet and powerful spirit in our home. He has always been a force for good since he was a little child. That has never changed. I will miss our talks about life and religion as we buoy each other up. I'm grateful for emails that will await me weekly and can't wait for this journey to begin... the making of a man.

No comments: