I just noticed something that is probably worth mentioning. This Christmas, as some of you may know, our kids decided they wanted to take a family trip to Disneyland.
As a parent I couldn't be more thrilled. No shopping worries!
Past Christmases have brought out the greedy monsters living deep inside each of my children, making them rather unpleasant to live with. This year I haven't heard "I want this, I want that," or "even if you don't get it, Santa will get it for me," and the like.
I finally had to tell them the reason why some children get motor bikes and televisions of their own while they got much smaller (though expensive...still) gifts. I'm sure you got the memo...
Santa can't afford nor can they make toys at the North Pole any longer. With insurance going up and "angry elves" sueing right and left, it's become a mess! Parents have to send what money they can to Santa and his helpers, for their own childrens gifts... hence, the difference between what Santa brings the Jones and what he brings us. It made complete sense to my little monsters who thought they could get anything their hearts desired. Thank heaven.
This year I haven't heard a peep! I think we are on to something. We did say that they could have something small, and that I'd send enough money to fill up the stockings, but that's it otherwise the Christmas money is going towards one common goal.
My only gripe was a small one and it came from the son I expected it from... imagine that.
Shawn couldn't think of anything he wanted but said he would try to think of something.
WHAT? Talk about ruffling my feathers!
I find this simply annoying! To have to "think" of something?
When did it get to this point? That is what has changed about Christmas the most. Today kids don't ever wait for birthdays or Christmas to get that special something. They don't wait for anything. They want it, they get it more than likely and yes, it's our fault as parents.
I remember waiting forever to get a Barbie Playhouse, because there was only two chances in the year to get it... yup, either my birthday, or Christmas. When I got it, or any other gift, it was exciting!!! It built anticipation, and patience and the reward sweet. The gift was then charished, taken care of and loved.
It certainly beats having to struggling with wondering what it is that I "think" I could possibly want. Yawn!
With that simple exception... it has been a glorious holiday season without those "gimme, gimme" monsters. I look forward to not feeling bad about the money wasted on things that are played with for two days and shoved under the bed for the rest of the year.
We'll have to come up with a plan for next Christmas... I'd rather spend money on making memories than making piles of unused, unappreciated junk that will end up at Deseret Industries. Someone else can do it, because I'll be waiting for a sweet deal at their expense.
Ha ha. I do like finding a sweet deal. ;)
3 comments:
You definitely hit the nail on the head. It is all about making memories. We went on a cruise last year and had a great time. The kids said they want to do it again. Maybe next year.
Here I was thinking Shawn was happy and content and didn't need anything. Boy was I wrong!!
I agree that the ugly "gimme monster" is out and about. If I have to take Adam to the store one more time and listen to, "Oh MOM!!! Look at this! Can I have it?" I will probably scream. He is banned from any and every store, including Albertsons because they have toys there too. DUH!! Can't they just sell groceries?
Well, anyway. I'm jealous that you are leaving the snow and the cold and you are off to make memories. You won't regret it.
See you tomorrow night?
Ironic isn't it? At times the 'things' we think we want most are those things that are least remembered. Those that are of lasting significance are usually the experiences themselves. . . quality time with family and the memories of time shared together at a very special time of year. Poignant observations, Connie.
Post a Comment