April 27, 2009

JuMp!

Yesterday there was a thought given in church based on the mythological story of Odysseus and Calypso. In the story Odysseus a mortal, is stranded on an island with Calypso who is immortal. Tables are turned in curiosity when Calypso is taken with the thought of mortality. The thought of a persons days being numbered and choosing ones destiny was intriguing to Calypso.

In my own life I see how easy it is to become comfortable. The path of least resistance is the one I usually want to take, but often it doesn't take me anywhere. The story of Odysseus made me realize that I have to make my own destiny. I would argue that it is easier said than done. Our dreams aren't always determined by our will or desire, often it's determined by health or our monetary situation.

Luckily the choices I have to make aren't earth shattering.
I liken it to jumping off a diving board for the first time. I can still remember how reluctant I was, especially on the high dive. The idea of jumping was inconceivable, exciting... the adrenalin insane, my heart pounding until I finally got the courage to DO IT. Then, after actually doing it, with a smile on my face I couldn't wait to get up there and do it again. The fear was lost, until it was time to learn to dive and so on.

If I can accomplish anything here, it is to tell myself that change can happen for the better without seeing the end product. Jumping in, even though it's scary can be exciting, it's just talking myself into it in the first place.

Choices: Quiting my job to finish up school. Starting up the Youth Art Center again. All while awaiting word on another job I have my application in for and final decisions in the school district... in case I stick it out one more year until Riley is in sixth grade.

Simple Pleasure: Hugs. They come in all sizes. A little boy, around 18 months old came up to me in the foyer at church and laid his head down on my shoulder. It felt so good. I haven't had a hug from that little of boy for a long time. His dad was amazed. They are new in the ward and he said he is afraid of most people. I simply said," he must know I love little boys."

No comments: