August 28, 2009

S.O.S.


Wikipedia says; SOS is the commonly used description for the morse code distress signal first adopted by the German government in 1905. It remained the maritime radio distress signal until 1999 when it was replaced by a Global Maritime Distress Safety System. In popular usage, SOS became associated with phrases such as :Save Our Seamen", "Survivors On Shore", or "Save Our Souls".
I don't know when the original girls-night-out began or when we adopted the term "SOS", but I started going in 1994. Yes, for fifteen years the same group (basically) of ladies has been getting together to "Save Our Souls" or  "Save Our Sanity" once a month, religiously. 
We started by sharing FHE ideas till our files were packed to the rim with lessons. Then we tried to scrapbook, which doesn't work well because you have to think. Now we get together and do... whatever. We do crafts, eat delicious treats, the goal being to visit, share, and walk away with a smile. 
If you look around my house you will see many things that have come from SOS. 
This year I want to post the things I bring home each month. I think it will help me recall that particular night, and the conversation. Especially the person who took the time to host and share. I've been thinking someone needs to journal what we do... why not me. I take for granted that these wonderful woman have been in my life for so long and are all willing to help in a pinch and be true friends.
In August we went to Terry's house. She is the mother of us all. She has her planner that we all live by. She has the faith of... someone that has a LOT of faith. She has mothered many and been through about every experience imaginable, a child with cancer, death of parents, missionaries, marriages, pregnancies, grandchildren, hemorrhoids... (hee hee) you name it. Therefore, she is there with her wisdom to help us through. No one could replace Terry, she is like Jiminny Cricket always there to guide us. Thanks Terry, sure love ya!

Simple Pleasure: A night out with the girls. (Sorry I had to sneak out early this time.)

2 comments:

terra said...

Yay for you. I have a similar group we can "intervention." We intervene with whatever needs intervening in our lives. But mostly just enjoy amazing friendship.

Valerie said...

It wasn't the same after you left. Seriously.

I think this is a great idea to post photos of the craft!! I'll rely on you for this one!

S.O.S. is definitely one of life's Simple Pleasures. I will add that it's on of my life's important santity saving pleasures as well. I was VERY READY for this month's meeting.