Time to say goodbye to a first,
Oil Painting class
Graphic Design
Ceramics
Beginning Drawing
It was finals week, the last few days of the trimester and boy, did I learn a few things.
1. There are different types of people in this world, those that can't bend, and make life hard for everyone around them, and those who can bend, making life easier for all.
2. A little bit of nice can go along way.
3. I can't think of "three" right now.
Can't go into details, but...
As I look back on my student teaching experience, I didn't think there was going to be opportunities to learn what I needed too or have challenges. The classes were great, the students were no problem as far as classroom management but I think I learned more in the last couple weeks than the whole nine weeks put together.
To sum it all up... lesson plans are no big deal. The assignments are the meat of it all, yes... but, I'd like to refer to them as cake. Are you with me? Not meat, cake because it congers a much prettier image and I'm a visual person.
Grades can fall where they may but the icing on the cake is the students. It's not the content but the students! I heard that in one of my classes and I knew it, but I didn't KNOW it like I know now.
Teachers can demand the best, and get it from the ones that always give it, it doesn't matter what class they are in they will give it their all. For others, it becomes an experience like all the rest. *Ho-hum* What are they going to take away? An appreciation that will bring them back because of what they learned or how they felt in class? Both?
I'm still in a "safe zone" where the responsibilities of teaching isn't on me completely. I am able to see both sides while observing, the teachers and the students. It's invaluable, if I can remember and apply it.
Yeah! I've got it!
3. I love teaching! I love being able to share something new, show love for the arts, help kids find new ways to express themselves... if given the chance. ( A whole experience behind that comment, that I will write elsewhere.)
I'm sure I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg. I know I've got a lot more to learn and I'm can see that learning is never ending if you're flexible, or I should use the word bendable in reference to number one.
THE FAM
Braden is going to State Solo Preliminaries today. If he does well he goes to State Solo Festival in Boise. (cross fingers)
Shawn had a band concert this week, but I had art classes. :( Braden took him and Grandpa went too.
May I just take a second to insert my parents here? They have been more than lifesavers while I am finishing up school. My kids never feel deprived because they know grandma and grandpa will always be there to pick up the pieces, fill in, whatever the case may be. Mom makes us dinner on Thursday nights because Bjorn and I both work late. She hems my pants and skirts for school, patches the boys worn out knees. The giving is endless. We owe them, big time. We just pray we will be able to do the same for our kids some day.
Riley got our family together on Monday night. We went out to his school for a Family Night Fundraiser Breakfast. I love it, only in Idaho. All week they had themes for each day. Thursday was "Pirate Day" so Riley got dressed up as a pirate with mustache and goatee, which he thought was pretty cool. I didn't think of taking a picture. Drats! Friday was "Detective Day" and he kept his shaggy little goatee (waterproof eyeliner) and went as Shaggy, on Scooby Doo. Today is Saturday and he won't wash that thing off his face, which is kind of disgusting at this point but a battle I can do without. Before tomorrow it will be gone. Ha ha.
G.Bjorn is painting beautifully. I wish everyone could see... maybe he will post on his blog? HA. Leon Parson is a good man to take him under his wing, give him the support and kind words he needs. He is like a father to him, and his wife is a wonderful grounding support for me. There's not many artist wives around that understand having to live with these crazy geniuses.
Enough said.
Simple Pleasure: Comments! A simple way to show you care. Thank you. :)
2 comments:
Good Work Lady! You sound so inspiring. And yes, we do care.
I think you have chosen the perfect profession! You are brilliant, creative and talented and just what those kids need!! Any school district will be very lucky to sign you on as their art teacher.
Good luck to Braden! I totally believe that he'll be performing in Boise in a few weeks!
Next time we come to your house you'll have to show us more of Bjorn's genius. We so enjoyed looking at it the last time we were there and would love to see more!
Post a Comment