November 20, 2011

A Spoon Full of...

The last couple weeks a couple of my students in ceramics have asked if they can make spoons. I said, "Spoons?" to which they said, "Then we can have spoons to match our bowls."
I didn't think much about it until they mentioned it again, and like I always do... I bring my work home with me. In my head. I looked up ceramic spoons and actually found a project called "Spoon Totems" at http://funartlessonsgallery.blogspot.com/ Yes, teachers are always trying to relate projects to history or culture to make it seem worthy of doing.
Well, being Thanksgiving I decided that I would make a Gratitude Totem Spoon just to try out the project and see if I liked it.
Gratitude Totem Spoon
It has a my life theme beginning with the rose. Why? Because a flower reminds me of spring when everything is new and beginning. All the "firsts," from the first day of school to first love. It also reminds me of my mother, who taught me to love nature and the beauty of the earth.
Then the wedding ring. The ring is of course, symbolizes becoming a bride, being married but it's more than that, it reminds me of all things eternal, my religion, faith, endurance and everything that goes with it.
The paint brush and pencil represent my love of art and gratitude for my education.
And last but not least, the baby represents the blessing of being a mother. I love being a mom and I'm glad I'll always be the mother to four wonderful boys/men.

Do you think my students could come up with a meaningful gratitude totem? I don't know. But, at least I have an example now. :)

It all started with the request to make a spoon. Crazy. Think of a spoon... it could represent abundance, work, comfort, health, and sharing. I didn't give much thought to a spoon before. You'll have to let me know if you come up with anything else this little utensil might mean to you.

Simple Pleasure: Expressing gratitude without words.

2 comments:

terra said...

I love IT!

Valerie said...

Why, oh why, can't I be in your class?

Seriously.

I want to be there!