January 1, 2012

Christmas Break

Who knew, a break was just what I needed? It has been a glorious break. Not because I went anywhere, or did anything spectacular but because I got back to feeling like myself again.
I was able to do familiar things, and unwind.

As for the holiday, back in the day... our family hosted a Christmas party for our neighbors the Sunday before Christmas. I still miss doing that and hope to start it up again one day. Our family would also get together Christmas Eve for an easy to clean up dinner, soup, sandwiches, salads. Miss that too, so I invited the Thorkelsons to come over Christmas Eve. I made three different soups and had bread bowls. We were lucky to get Jared and Eric's families to come by (Eric got lost and came late, but...), Maryann brought a lovely salad and a yummy lemon cake. I loved being able to do that, eat, play games and laugh. It was "familiar" even though the faces were different, it was family.

As for the rest of the break, I got to see my boys, clean the house, shower with the sun shining through my window, make my bed every day and I called my sister in the middle of the day if I wanted to... oh, the simple things that I have missed.

I still had a chance to get a few new lessons plans together for the coming semester and do a few art projects, like this one.  Of course, this is for me even though I'll use it as an example.

I love being a mom, and I love making mother and child figures. This was quick, easy and FUN.

I hope when I go back to work that I can somehow manage to find time to feel like "me" and not just a sun up, sun down work driven woman. If I do lose it, I will look forward to spring break like no other... then summer!

Simple Pleasure: The feeling of "familiar."

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

sound like you had a great break! I love your mother and child figure. Have a happy new year!

little pink moth said...

Glad you enjoyed your time off. It certainly inspired a beautiful piece of art. (I want one.)

Valerie said...

The art was easy for you, but not easy for someone like me... it's beautiful as always!

Glad the break was good for you! Sometimes new traditions, mixed in with old, can be fun and exciting. Building memories is what it's about!

Can't wait to read the post about the mission call!