March 17, 2012

Good Bye Braden, I Mean Elder Thorkelson

Wow, where did that time go? We thought the extra 3 week extension would last forever but it came and went in a flash.
 We did some last minute running that morning. Then we came home and got ready to go to Provo. We met Janet, Matt, Jared and Maryann at The Brickoven. Braden was starving but couldn't eat. He kept proclaiming his gift of being numb to the whole thing, but it hit him and he was nervous.
I'm not sure I like the MTC's "drop off at the curb method" they use now. We didn't even get to take pictures! We pulled in and a barrage of missionaries were at the curb, one greeted us with, "Where's your missionary?" We get out and he said, "Hi Elder, where's your bags?" To which he grabbed his backpack, put it on, grabbed a suitcase... said, "This is it, we'll take good care of him." Gregg said "Can we hug him?" We all got a hug, and before we knew it he was gone, I got in the car and couldn't see him any longer. No time to think.
It was like dropping him off at school or camp or something. Not much closure... he just doesn't come home after a semester. Gregg likened it to the movie "Close Encounters" when the aliens come out of the ship and chose people to go back with them. Ha.
When T'Jae went to the MTC we went in, had an opening prayer, thought, song and then the missionaries went out one way and we went out the other. It was almost like what we imagine the pre-existence to be like as we say good bye to our heavenly parents and come to earth. A bittersweet experience.
Who knows what Braden was thinking. He was probably glad to get it over with.
Now I can't wait to hear from him. I guess I'll get in the habit of getting my email again.

Driving to lunch. He's looking like a missionary.
The family at The Brickoven.






























I will have the ElderThorkelson blogspot up and running again if anyone likes to hear missionary adventures. I will copy and paste his emails and pictures there. Fun Fun. My boy is starting the rest of his life. I'm excited for him. He needs this, and there is no question he is where he is suppose to be.

Simple Pleasure: Milestones of life.

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

How exciting! Now watch the blessing come!

Lindsay said...

I hope you're doing well! I'm sure it was a little sad sending off another son. :)

By the way, I've updated my blog URL and some friends thought I deleted my blog -- but I didn't. Here's the new link: love-lindsay-wilcox.blogspot.com .

Valerie said...

Very handsome young missionary you've got there!! I am happy for your family!