November 4, 2011

Homework

Teachers have homework too.
I have to make samples of projects. The students enjoy being creative and making novelty items rather than the same old box and pot. I'm trying to find ideas like this that they will enjoy. If you know of anything, please share.

I don't know why I keep making some sort of fish creature, but it keeps happening. This is for a slab ceramic creature project.
It's been a roller coaster the last 10 weeks. I've hated my job, then I have a good day and think it's not so bad, then it starts all over again. I haven't cried this much in a long time... (okay, the past couple years I've cried a lot so I'd have to go back a few... but you know what I mean.) It has been the hardest thing I've ever done.
I got on facebook and ended up chatting a bit with an old St. George friend this morning. She reminded me of my student from last year, Joshua Sherman. She said that he was pretty upset that I wasn't his teacher anymore. It filled my heart remembering Joshua. He was the cutest thing you ever saw.  Loved him.
Then I thought, why am I here? Am I ever going to make a difference here?
I started out dreading my day, saying a prayer on the way to work that I would say and do the right things. I guess you never know if you do, you just hope it will be so. Then, half way through the day a bundle of "Thank you" cards from students, some anonymous others made known with kind words written to ME. It surprised me, especially some kids I hardly spend time with, because they don't need to be babysat.  Reason: It's a month of Gratitude at our school. Funny thing, Riley wrote a card to me too. :)

Today was good. I didn't get home until 8:oo pm because I had to close out my grades for the quarter. I wish I just had to worry about teaching and not all the paperwork. Ugh!
Well, I'm completely exhausted and my bed is calling my name.

If your student has a good teacher, tell them "Thank You." I never realized how hard they work.

Simple Pleasure: Knowing there's only 30 more weeks to go, and maybe I'll figure things out by then.


3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I am sorry to hear how tough the year has been for you -- but how sweet of the kids to write you thank you notes! I'm sure that made your day. Hang in there!

little pink moth said...

Hang in there, Miss Connie! How can you not make a difference? You are a difference maker! You care and it shows.

Robin Grant said...

You are the most creative person I know. Sometimes what we want is the most difficult thing to have. Your school is so lucky to have you and you are changing lives. I think about you almost daily. The first year does pass and each additional year gets easier and more fulfilling, I think anyway. Keep us posted. I still miss you guys.